Sunday, April 26, 2020

CB radio's

Have you ever used one of these, they are such fun.  I lived in a small town and it was great entertainment.

I had it setup next my bed, in my car, and in the shop where I worked.  This was pre-cellphone.  I know you probably cannot imagine life without cellphones, but it existed.

My CB (Citizen Band radio), could be anywhere, it was a bit clumbersome, but it put you in touch with everyone in the community that was connected and possible new friends.

You would chat for hours about anything and everything, there was its own lingo. You had a name which was a handle, you used this name to identify yourself and would talk to the other buddies.

When driving in your car, you would ask the person where they were so that you could meet up and chat and that was called eye-balling (see) you.

I remember the passion for this type of communication being so popular.  One child had a father who was a job involved radios, and such like. Well, the whole family had radio's. Dad had one in his work vehicle and office, Mom was on the Base station, needless to say she had the strongest radio around and would "bleed" over all the channels when you spoke, the only way it worked was to invite her to chat with you..... The eldest son had one in his vehicle too.  The younger two had hand mobiles which also worked.  But the cutest one was the youngest.

One day while chatting he and I chatted for the first time, and he wanted to know where he could meet up and chat. I of course, was at work and suggested that he come around to the shop. Well he came and parked across the road.  I was finally going to meet the "voice".

I would have imagined, at least 5ft 10in, good-looking, dark hair, well spoken, good manners, and a fair car.  By now you have gathered I am somewhat of a romantic.

The call came in "Fairlady, where are you? Seagull here, what is your 10/7?" I went outside and looked up and down the Main road, as it was a Sunday afternoon and very quiet.  There was no cars in the road.  I went back inside to speak to Seagull and say that I could not see him and that he was probably in the wrong place - he had this smile in his voice.  He assured me that he was in the right spot and that I was just not looking correctly.

Duly I went out again and when I looked up the road again, there was only a lad on a bicycle with this very long aerial attached to his bike.  No. No-one was there.  I went back to the radio and called him up again and said that I could only see someone on a bicycle, "That is me," he said.

Well, we laughed and laughed, he came in and we chatted and had a ice-cream and we really became good friends. He ended up being my brother in law years later.


No comments:

Post a Comment