Monday, February 10, 2020

Thought about how you would love your next child?


I was a young mom at the age of twenty-three and had been lucky enough to be blessed with a healthy pregnancy.
I was spoilt rotten as I was expecting the first grandchild on both sides of the family.

For example Father-in-law would work in the City, every now and again and as we lived in a small town he would always bring a few treats, the Pick and mix kind, as well some of the Colonel's fries. . As that satisfied the cravings.

Needless to say when Junior finally arrived. This was no  pre-scan and gender announcement parties. We were at the mercy of our Aunt's who would say you are carrying as if it were a girl. Your cravings were that of boy. You would put your wedding ring at the end of some cotton and hold it over your wrist, depending on the motion of this ring over your wrist, would be the gender of the newborn.


When asking the husband about the cravings, he would wisely find whatever we wanted at 3am.
Mom giving birth, was almost last to know what or whom she had given birth to.

Junior's arrival was fairly easy, a lovely healthy boy. He was really an easy baby except for his bottle  he did not really want to give that up. But with time he grew into the cutest toddler, blue eyes and lovely blonde hair. A typically little boy, as curious as ever, about everything.
I remember going to bed at night and praying that when he was of age that he not be called  to  the Defence force at 16 years of age.  At that time, all boys had to go to do training in the Defence force for at least two years.  It could be postponed till after your studies.  I was a typical mother.

He was a very sociable little one and loved playing with his friends and would cry so badly when they left. Mom and Dad did not play the same as his friends.
We started thinking about a second baby, I really was not keen at first, I had a boy he was three and a half and was off nappies, talking and ever so cute. ....

How could I love another? My husband, my child, how does it work. I was so worried. I asked my Mom, "How do you love another child, I am sure it is not possible, will you not love one child more than the other?"
Mom, looked at me, with those all knowing eyes, a mother of four children, herself  and said that you will never question this again.

Once pregnant, and your baby is born, this thought will vanish and your heart overflows with love in abundance for all your children.

Boy, was she right my second blessing arrived as easily as the first and all she was , was a bundle of joy, half the size of her big brother, but such a little darling.
I never once doubted my love for her or her brother and in that moment there was no doubt in my mind that I had enough, love and more for them all




No comments:

Post a Comment